Sunday, June 19, 2011

The girl's rooms

Good Morning everyone, and a happy Monday to you too. We all had such a lovely weekend together with some good family time but also a funfilled neighbourhood bash (5 to 7 households get together for dinner- lots of laughter and heaps of fun with 11 kids running around- the girls love it everytime)

A couple of posts ago I wrote about how I loved mixing patterns together especially in the little ones rooms. I have taken some iphone photos (so excuse the basicness...if that's even a word?!...of them). To get more of an idea of what Malia and Lani's rooms are like visit the post my sister-in-law Simone of Honey and Fizz's fame wrote showing my house and the girls bedrooms before Christmas.


Malia's room is predominantly aqua, pink and white. If you jump to Honey and Fizz's post you'll see a beautiful shelving unit in her bedroom, that I bought at one of my favourite stores, Doug Up On Bourke in Sydney. It was initially a shoe rack in a horrid orange colour but the owner of D. Up On B. painted and distressed it for me. When I saw the aqua I knew her whole room colour scheme would stem off this.


A couple of months after buying the shelving unit I saw this quilt set and cushions in the blue mountains and couldn't get them home quick enough. I love the dirty muted tones in the set. They look a hundred years old.


The quilted cushion in the middle is a Bed Bath n Table purchase and the pale blue sheet with pink roses is Best and Less of all places. To me it shouts Cath Kidstone.



I made the artwork for Malia's room over two years ago and the butterflies appear to be floating across her wall. It's really whisical and she loves pretending the butterflies are floating around her room.


Lani's bedroom on the other hand is soft green, pink and white. It's such a lovely combination and I have been lucky enough to find the perfect quilt and sheet sets for her too. It takes some time to build up the sheets, doona covers and quilts but I always have my eye open. I haven't shown it here but I spotted this weekend at Spotlight the perfect doona cover in a flowery pattern with pinks and greens - she's still a year away from getting into a bed that will need such a cover but hey, when you see the perfect one you may aswell lap it up while you can (my philosophy anyway!)


I found the sheets at Woolworths of all places and the quilt cover and pillowcover at My Home. Lani is still in a cot but likes to use her pillow - the quilt will be used when she transferes to a single bed but I have it hanging over the end of her cot as it's such a pretty way of adding the perfect colours to her room.


I also made this artwork for her with flowers made in a multitude of papers and cards.


I love decorating their rooms - when we moved here they were the first rooms to be finished off. When we move I'll replace the artwork with some frames and hunt down some wall decals. Lots of thoughts running through my head and I am constantly seeing images that inspire me.

Photos taken by me.

x


1 comment:

Jane said...

Just gorgeous, Em. You have such an eye for colour. I am very impressed with your artwork as well. Just the inspiration I need to decorate Miss India's new room! J x